Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ramen-ography

Ramen prepared "Don-Style"
D80, Nikkor 55mm 3.5 Micro
Window Light

I was home sick today (pleurisy... Yuk!), so took advantage of having the house to myself while cooking some lunch. The above photo is the end result of me cooking ramen noodles.

That shot was done handheld using only window light. I noticed after that there are (at least) three things wrong with the picture.
  1. Needed a reflector on the left to fill in the shadows a bit.
  2. There's a speck of noodles on the rim of the bowl. (Doh!)
  3. You can see the stove line on the top left of the shot. (Doh again!)
I like the exposure though. A little fill in the shadows and on the fork would have made a huge difference I think. But I was in a hurry to actually eat my subject.

I took pics of the entire process. Check out the Flickr set here if you're interested. The rest of the pics were taken with me holding the camera in my right hand and a Vivitar 285 on a Cowboy Studio radio trigger in my left. With a manual focus lens this was "fun". I focused by leaning toward or away from the subject.

The other pic I kind of liked was this one:

Ramen Boiling with Steam
Nikon D80, Nikkor 55mm 3.5 Micro
Strobist: Vivitar 285 handheld

I liked how I caught the steam, and darkened the background a couple stops. But the background is identifiable as a stove.

I would like to try again but with a light stand with a boom arm to hold the strobe. And a time when I'm less hungry...

No comments:

Post a Comment