Sunday, January 9, 2011

Coming Back...

Huntington Beach, CA
2005
Olympus C-4000 digital camera
I discovered photography in the 1990's. I wasn't a super pro or anything, but I enjoyed the creation of art. I'd always loved creating, but traditional art such as drawing, painting or sculpting were far beyond my capabilities.

When I discovered photography, I realized I could create with my eye and my mind. I didn't need to use a paintbrush or a chisel. All I needed to do was get my vision to appear in the viewfinder. Of course, that's easier said than done. But it was something I could learn how to do.



My first camera was a Petri 35mm SLR with a 50mm lens. I actually created some interesting photos using cheap (99c store!) film. It was enough to teach me some basics about exposure, lighting, and composition.

I forget just how, but I moved into Minolta manual focus cameras after that. Not because I didn't like my Petri, but because lenses were few and far between. I had some things I wanted to do that I could not do with a 50mm lens. I was excited by nature photography, and wanted to get full frame animals without spooking them. I also had a significant investment in AF cameras, specifically the Minolta Maxxum line. My 7xi was an amazing camera.

My equipment grew, my photography grew, and my desire and interest grew. I had moved into medium format gear using 120 film. Considering it was the Internet age, I invested in film scanners and started exploring digital. I even sold a few prints now and again using Giclée techniques.

Things were going well, and I was considering going pro. There was interest in my work, I was starting to break even financially, and it was FUN! Then it happened.

DSLRs got affordable. $2k or so for a decent body from Canon or Nikon. Minolta had dropped the ball, going for APS film instead. Then the company started breaking up and there didn't appear to be a DSLR coming from Minolta. My lens and equipment investment was poised to fly out the window.

Top that off with the fact that darn near EVERYBODY seemed to be trying to publish, thanks to one of the coolest features of digital photography. The fact that you don't have to pay for film and processing. This allowed anybody to fire off a zillion frames, with the odds being good that at least one of those shots would be worthwhile. I couldn't do that with film, instead having to carefully expose and frame the shots and using bracketing techniques.

Shot with a Minolta x570 with a Rokkor-X 500mm mirror lens
To me the writing on the wall was clear. Film was heading out, digital was the way to go, and the value of an image (thanks to stock photo publishers) was next to zero.

I sold most of my gear while I still could. While there were still buyers. And while I could still get a decent amount of money for it. I hung onto my Olympus C-4000 digital and a few flashes and whatnot, and that's it.

The only reason I kept any interest at all is because my other hobby is woodworking and penmaking. I needed to take product photos of the pens I made and sold. (http://www.mantadesigns.com) So I kept a consumer/prosumer digital camera with a PC socket to be able to get decent product shots of my pens. But I wasn't making art, I was just trying to sell my pens. There was no joy in the photography.

I realize now that was a mistake. I was looking at what I perceived as the market for my work, instead of remembering that I was enjoying the creation of art, not just making photos. That realization came with a conversation with my wife a week or so ago.

I was working on my computer when my wife came in with her cell phone stuck to her ear. "Do you want a D80?" It took me a moment to process what in the world she was talking about. Then it hit...

"Sure!"

"Great, my brother upgraded and is sending it to you if you want it."

Yay! I got totally excited and started looking back at my PhotoSig account (under DurocShark if you're curious) and thinking about photography again.

Lady on the Sun
Shot with a Minolta X-570 using a
Minolta 100mm f3.5 1:1 Macro lens on Velvia
I don't know what my photography will look like going forward. The camera is in the shipping box on the counter at home right now, waiting for me to open it and begin re-learning the things I knew, and exploring new things I've not yet tried.

This blog will be about that exploration. The review of things I know or once knew. The exciting re-entry into art for art's sake. And all my fumbles and foibles as I travel this path.

Only one thing is certain, it'll be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment