Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Inventory of old gear...


Getting that D80 kit got me thinking about photography again, as I've mentioned before.

So today I got out my camera bags to see what bits and pieces I still have left and figure out what might be useful still.

  • An old Graflex tripod. Not as good as my old Bogen, but serviceable.
  • A generic monopod. The camera thread mount is bent from using it as a walking stick, but works.
  • A generic light stand.
  • A generic light umbrella.
  • A generic macro slider. I was VERY happy to find that.
  • Two more hot shoe mount flash units. One missing the battery cover.
  • One slave flash that fires when it detects another flash going off.
  • Myriad filters for 49mm, 52mm, or 55mm. Probably useless for a modern camera, but I'll hang onto them just in case. (They were for my old manual focus Minolta gear.)
  • Speaking of old manual focus Minolta gear, I also found a Minolta MD mount 50mm 1.7 lens, a MC mount Seagull branded 50mm 1.8 lens, and the lens reversing ring for 49mm filter thread Minolta MC/MD lenses. I did some pretty exciting stuff with that and the 50mm 1.7 on my SRT or x570 bodies.
  • A generic camera brace with a handle. I used it to get the flash further off the camera, though I was never 100% happy with it. 
  • The filter ring adapter for my Olympus C-4000 digital camera. 
  • A mechanical cable shutter release for old cameras. Still smooth as silk.
  • Cylindrical soft box.
Most of that stuff will be useful going forward. I hope to get a light stand mount with a hotshoe and a wireless flash trigger soon. That will eliminate the need to use a PC cable to get a flash off-camera. They're cheap on Amazon for "Cowboy Studio" brand gear.

Something to get macro shots would be nice as well. Extension tubes, bellows, proper macro lens, whatever. Lighting is the easy part with macro work.I need to be able to focus more closely.

By using a powerful flash on the stand with the umbrella and the smaller slave by itself (or bounced off a card), I should be able to start making studioesque product photos of my pens.

That will be a nice way to get back into my photography.

Though with the snow lately, I just might find other reasons to burn some pixels!

No comments:

Post a Comment