Saturday, January 15, 2011

More with the Flash Booster

 I played some more with the D80 and the Quantaray MS-1 Flash Booster yesterday.

Those lenses are some the old gear I found when I did my inventory. I offered them up on Craigslist for free, and someone will be by in the morning to pick them up. Before listing them on CL I wanted to take some photos.

The lenses were placed on a mirror, the flash booster was placed so the light spill would hit the subject directly, while the bulk of the light would bounce off the wall.




 Again I played with flash exposure compensation and apertures until I got a clean balance. I think it worked pretty well.

For the jewelry, I placed the booster on its back just forward and to the right of the subject. This bounced the entire force of the flash off the ceiling, making for a really big reflector.

For the lens I just used the 18/135 kit lens. Manually focused. The subjects were placed on a piece of ripple glass with the back side painted black.

If you've never used glass for a base, head over to Hobby Lobby or any craft store that sells supplies for stained glass. They have some really cool things you can play with!
 Manual focusing is really easy with that big clear viewfinder in the D80. The last photo shows the maker's mark on the inside of the ring. Handheld and manually focused and it only took one shot to get that in focus.

Because I was using the kit lens, I had to crop these subjects in Photoshop CS3. Otherwise they would be a small bright blob in the middle of a black field.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment